The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Wednesday 17 January 2018

All quiet on the western front!

It's been pretty quiet here since Christmas, hence the lack of posts! After Christmas we had what seemed like enough prolonged rain to start thinking about getting the arc ready. I mean, seriously, about 10 days of non-stop rain, which of course meant that it was snowing in the mountains. All good for the resorts of course, as opposed to last year when there was nothing over the Christmas period. Then of course the wind picked up and some of the ski resorts had to suspend skiing as it was just too dangerous, and finally some (lucky) devils got snowed in at Zermatt. Frankly I can think of worse places to be snowed in than Zermatt, although you would probably need pretty deep pockets as Zermatt's prices are pretty prohibitive at the best of times. After record snowfalls which completely blocked the access lines, some people were helicoptered off the mountain but within three days the train access was back up and running. All exciting stuff I suppose.

For we lesser mortals it was back to work and having the snow stay up in the mountains was great as I really hate driving on the blooming stuff. That being said, we have had some pretty windy days and nights and when I went to leave for work this morning I had to get the broom out of my garage and push the snow off my car before I left. The odd thing is, though, that just five minutes down the road in my little local town it was pretty much all clear.  I guess maybe just that 100 metres difference in altitude makes all the difference!

Things at work have been just ticking over. I have another couple of meetings coming up in March but they are fairly routine so I can get most of the work done ahead of time. My big meetings are in July and December and they take about 3-4 months each to prepare so that keeps me out of trouble for a while, I suppose.

On the exercise front I was pretty good last week. Managed to walk four times, either into work in the morning or at lunchtime and then went to the gym one time but I have to admit I couldn't be faffed so far this week. One of my Monday evening sewing clubs has decided not to meet in the evenings this term as some of the older ladies don't want to go out in the evenings when the weather is yucky - pretty understandable I suppose, so I have been sticking with my other Monday evening club. And guess what, the PrĂ©sidente and the two assistants have announced that they no longer want those responsibilities any more so the club would effectively be disbanded, after 20 years, next June. Now I was speaking to one of the other ladies and saying it was a shame to lose the use of the room if some people wanted to continue. The local commune lets us use it for free and will even give us a small subsidy if we need to buy supplies, although to be honest with everyone paying €40 for the year we haven't needed that subsidy so far. So to make a long story short, it looks like I may end up becoming the next PrĂ©sidente! Ha what a joke that is, since I can't sew. Really! I'm taking patchwork lessons but as for sewing itself - forget it. Actually, based on that logic I should probably go into politics too because as far as I can see not many politicians (whatever their persuasion) really know what they are doing either. Still, it seems it would involve just doing the administrative side of it, which I don't mind at all, so if I can get another lady to go along with me and keep the second set of keys for when I can't make it, it looks like I will have a new role shortly!

Other than that, what else is new. Oh, this evening I shall be attending a Thai cookery class, which I am quite excited about, although I find going out after work - particularly in the winter - to be very tiring. In Switzerland the big supermarket (the equivalent of Tescos or Wal-Mart) is called Migros and they seem to have a finger in every pie - supermarkets, travel, insurance, banking and evening classes, etc. so I am taking this class (and another again next week) at the Migros evening class centre downtown. When I first arrived in Geneva I lived in central Geneva as a single girl for five years and never stayed in one single evening! God, talk about staying power. I had a boyfriend and saw him regularly, obviously, but I think I did every one of the Migros' evening classes - sailing (loved it), sewing (I was the youngest by about 40 years), tai chi (burrrrk - hated it), cookery. You name it I had a bash at it. Actually looking at my mortgage pay-off figures I could well have my house paid off in two years (at which point I can retire) and like Sam over at a New Frame of Reference I realize I like structure and like to be busy, so I can see myself getting more involved in classes - mainly in France - but also at the Migros, where there is a better (if more expensive) selection, when I am retired. Although I have a couple of years to go, the planning of it all is pretty nice, I can tell you.

And finally, in a couple of weeks I will be off on my winter holiday to Costa Rica. I can't wait. I am travelling with a new (to me) group and they don't have the most direct flights for some reason (Geneva/London/Toronto/Costa Rica) but I am really looking forward to it. Having missed out on my winter vacation last year because of the upcoming wedding, I can't wait for this one as it always feels like spring is just around the corner when I get back. I just hope that holds true!

4 comments:

  1. Winter holiday in Costa Rica will be great! And certainly will not feel like winter at all!
    Have fun at your cooking class and please let us know all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my colleagues is from Costa Rica and she was telling me to bring back some "salsa Lizano" as it is out of this world. I'll have to give it a shot.

      Delete
  2. My daughter lived zip lining andvthe coffee plantations and sloth sanctuaries. Theyvhad neans, rice and fruit for every meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went zip lining in St. Lucia (almost peed myself but at least I did it). And the sloths are a must for me if at all possible. I love them. An I'm ok with beans, rice and fruit all the time too so lots to look forward to.

      Delete