The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Tuesday 21 March 2017

Happy 100th birthday to the Forces' Sweetheart!

The Forces' Sweetheart, the wonderful Dame Vera Lynn turned 100 on 20 March, and in tribute her picture was projected onto the white cliffs at Dover and a new compilation of her songs has been re-released.
Dame Vera Lynn
By all accounts she is a wonderfully classy lady and rightly deserved the title of "Forces' Sweetheart"!





It's been nearly a year since my mother died. Her funeral was beautiful, very touching, and very funny because that is what we all wanted. On the order of service we had a beautiful picture of mom and dad in uniform during WWII.  I held it all together until they played Vera Lynn singing "We'll Meet Again" as we walked out! I think given the poignancy of the times Vera Lynn and her beautiful voice will remain one of the enduring symbols of love and hope of all time!

2 comments:

  1. This post is so touching and personal! Thank you for including both video links. I love that you had a non-traditional yet perfectly beautiful song played at your Mom's service. I would have lost it also.
    When Dad died we had his funeral at his church followed by his invasement in the church columbarium. His name was Joe and he knew one song well so he played the piano and sang it for every kid that ever came to the house. We felt it was necessary to play and sing at the end of the service, "Ragtime Cowboy Joe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X92V88JFHso. There were no tears, just laughs but that is what he would have wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to go onto youtube as I couldn't get the link to work. That is just so lovely - and so funny. I can't help thinking your dad would have been the one to get the biggest kick out of that song!

    ReplyDelete